Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Dear County of Lethbridge #26

Thank you so very, very much for the present you sent me while I was in the hospital with two bleeding ulcers. I can't tell you how much the bill for $500 for sending the fire engine out for 11 minutes during my rough engine encounter in Lethbridge means to me. I mean without that bill, I'd certainly never remember this experience. And I'm absolutely sure that your fire engines and firemen are reasonably billed out at $2727.27 per hour. It's especially reasonable when I convert that to US dollars.

Do you take Visa? At least I might get some frequent flyer miles out of it...

Can any of my Canadian readers suggest an approach to reduce this obligation? I've got no problem paying the reasonable value of sending the fire truck out in case the landing didn't turn out as well as it did, but I can't help but flinch at this outrageous pricing!

3 comments:

GC said...

You've got to be kidding me!?

Unbelievable!

Good luck with that!

Anonymous said...

I would suggest contacting COPA, the Canadian equivilent of AOPA. COPA and AOPA work together on border issues with respect to flying. In any case, give them your story and get their thoughts on it. If COPA gives you the cold shoulder, let me know and I'll follow up with them as to some suggestions.

You may also want to contact the airport manager, Scott Butchart via email at sbutchart@county.lethbridge.ab.ca and see what can be done. Canadians are like Americans in that they are typically very friendly when dealing with things like this. Don't hold me to it, but I suspect that your $500 invoice is one of those automatically generated invoices that's simply standard procedure. And I suspect that most times the invoice is paid because it's sent to a company or airline and it's part of doing business. But in your case, you might be able to barter with them.

Avimentor said...

Man, that's quite a bill. Seems excessive to me, but ...

BTW, I was sorry to read about your ulcer problem. Hope you're on the mend and back in the air soon.