Friday, March 10, 2006

Accident of the Week

This accident report was mentioned in AvWeb earlier this week. A reminder to turn your cell phone off in flight. (Though during the IFR Pilot's private pilot checkride, the DPE fielded a phone call on his cell phone. This was treated as a good sign that the checkride was going well....)

NTSB Identification: NYC06LA073
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, February 23, 2006 in Weyers Cave, VA
Aircraft: Cessna 182D, registration: N9178X
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On February 23, 2006, about 2315 eastern standard time, a Cessna 182D, N9178X, was destroyed after it impacted power lines while maneuvering near Weyers Cave, Virginia. The certificated airline transport pilot was fatally injured. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed for the flight that departed Eagle's Nest Airport (W13), Waynesboro, Virginia. The personal flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

The airplane was partly owned by the pilot, and based at W13.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, the pilot was flying above Interstate 81, and communicating via a cell phone, to a friend driving a tractor trailer northbound on Interstate 81. The driver of the tractor trailer was also a part owner of the accident airplane. The pilot was maneuvering in the vicinity of the tractor trailer when the airplane struck power lines, and subsequently impacted the ground. The airplane came to rest in a ditch on the east side of the northbound lane of interstate 81, and was destroyed during an ensuing post crash fire.

Examination of the airplane by an FAA inspector, and a representative from the Cessna Aircraft Company, did not reveal any pre-impact malfunctions.

The pilot reported 4,000 hours of total flight experience on his most recent application for an FAA first class medical certificate, which was issued on August 31, 2005.

The weather reported at an airport that was located about 2 miles southeast of the accident site, about the time of the accident, included, scattered clouds at 9,500 feet, and winds from 260 degrees at 10 knots, with 19 knot gusts.

No comments: